(Items below in black indicate programs the the Area Presidency and LDS Humanitarian Services are particularly interested in)
- Funding to provide 8 teachers for the newly constructed secondary (middle) school in Seritquiche – approximately $3,600/yr for each teacher.
- Computers or funds to purchase computers – 35 computers for the San Mateo Technical School in Senahu and 15 computers for the new secondary school in Seritquiche – approximately $375/computer.
- Funds to purchase text books for 60 students to last five years at the new secondary school in Seritquiche – approximately $6,250.
- Funds to cover supplies and administrative costs for the new school in Seritquiche – approximately $1,600/yr.
- Funds to cover sponsorships/scholarships for the San Mateo Technical School – the cost for each student is approximately $33/month or $360/yr.
- Development/organization/implementation of English teaching program for new secondary school in Seritquiche.
Should have heavy emphasis on audio/visual aids.
- Development/organization/implementation of teacher development program for secondary school in Seritquiche.
- Developing notebook of recreational activities for teachers at primary school; teaching curriculum to teachers
- Developing notebook of arts and crafts activities for teachers at primary school; teaching curriculum to teachers
Technical / Misc.
- Agriculture specialist to develop technical training program
- Teach locals how to build high efficiency wood burning ovens in their homes (use less than 1/3 the firewood!).
This will likely entail developing more detailed manual of how to construct.
- Cardamom cultivation: helping locals to improve the quality of their cardamom plants and seeds for greater exportation potential
- Misc hospital restoration projects
- Metal worker/blacksmith to train locals how to make iron stovetops, etc.
- School desk construction training
- Carpentry training
Medical / Dental
- Facilitating organization of new community pharmacy/clinic in Seamay
- Neonatal resuscitation training of midwives in Senahu/Seamay area
- Emergency medical training of staff at Senahu Health Center
- Dental training of local dental technicians
- Strengthening dental technicians’ skills in Senahu
- Development of cataract surgery program jointly with LDS Humanitarian Services
Extended Service Opportunities / Internships
- For most of the above activities it would be extremly useful to have somebody stay in the community for an extended period of time (inquire for more information).
- LDS Humanitarian Services is particularly anxious for the development and implementation of computer training and English teaching programs as soon as possible.
- Newborn incubators for hospital in La Tinta
- Defibrillator for hospital in La Tinta
- Neonatal ambu/resuscitation bags
- Blood pressure monitors (sphingomanometers)
- IV catheters
- IV caps (for saline locks)
- Neo-natal resuscitation mannequins
- Sutures (of all sizes, including absorbable)
- Gynecology examination beds
- Printers for school computer labs
- Funds for hospital construction and restoration